CONSTITUTION OF THE WORLD FEDERATION OF NATIONAL MATHEMATICS COMPETITIONS
The World Federation of National Mathematics
Competitions is a voluntary organization, created through the inspiration of
Professor Peter O'Halloran of Australia, that aims to promote excellence in
mathematics education and to provide those persons interested in promoting
mathematics education through mathematics contests an opportunity
of meeting and exchanging information.
Article 1 -- NAME
- The name of the organization is the World Federation of National
Mathematics Competitions, hereafter referred to as WFNMC or the Federation.
Article 2 -- STATUS
- The Federation is affiliated with ICME, the International Congress on
Mathematical Education, and as an Affiliated Study Group (ASG) with ICMI, the
International Commission on Mathematics Instruction.
Article 3 -- AIMS
- The aims of the Federation are:--
- to promote excellence in, and research associated
with, mathematics education through the use of school mathematics competitions;
- to promote meetings and conferences where persons
interested in mathematics contests can exchange and develop ideas of use in
- to provide opportunities for the exchanging of information for
mathematics education through published material, notably through the Journal
of the Federation;
- to recognize through the WFNMC Awards system persons who have made
notable contributions to mathematics education through mathematical challenge
around the world;
- to organize assistance provided by countries with
developed system for competitions for countries attempting to develop
- to promote mathematics and to encourage young mathematicians.
Article 4 -- CONFERENCES
- The Federation will hold a conference every two years at a site to be
determined by the Executive.
- Special conferences of the Federation may be held on a regional basis at
the discretion of the Executive.
Article 5 -- MEMBERSHIP
- Membership is open to any person or organization interested in the
employment of mathematics competitions in enhancing mathematics education, and
who agrees to assist the WFNMC in the realization of its aims.
- Membership fees will be set by recommendation of the Executive and
approved by the members.
- Membership is necessary of any who wish to hold office in the WFNMC.
Persons standing for office must have been members for at least one year
before taking office.
Article 6 -- FORMAL GENERAL MEETINGS
- At least once every four years the Federation will hold (usually at one of its
two-yearly conferences) a Formal General Meeting open to all its members.
Article 7 -- VOTING
- Questions at meetings will be decided by voting. This will be by show of
hands unless a secret ballot is deemed necessary by the President. Questions
will be decided by a simple majority of voting individual members, except for
amendments to the Constitution.
- Members present, and only those present who are members, are eligible to
- A declaration will be made by the President (or his substitute) that any
motion has been carried or not carried, and the result will be recorded in the
Article 8 -- ORGANIZATION
- The Federation will be administered by Officers who are individuals
elected from the members. The Officer positions are eight as defined in
Section 8.3, and these officers will constitute the Executive Committee of the
- The Officers will be elected by the members for four-year renewable
terms, as follows:-
- Vice-President (of which there shall be three, one of whom will be
designated Senior Vice-President)
- Publications Officer
- Immediate Past President
- Duties of the Officers are defined as follows:-
- President: The President will preside at meetings
of the Executive and of WFNMC members, will serve ex-officio on all committees,
will ensure the coordination of all Federation activities, will prepare agendas
for general meetings, and will represent the WFNMC at official functions as
necessary, and will maintain relations with international bodies with which
the WFNMC is affiliated. The President's time in office is limited to one 4-year term,
after which time the President becomes "Immediate Past President" for one
- Vice-President: The Vice-Presidents will be responsible for
membership, and presentation of candidates for office at times of
elections. These duties will be shared by the three. The Senior Vice-President
will chair the Executive Committee in the absence of the President and will chair the Program Committee.
- Publications Officer: The Publications Officer will be
responsible for the production of federation materials, specifically the
Journal of the Federation, and for other materials as approved by the
- The Immediate Past President shall serve as Chair of the Awards Committee and
will be responsible for the gathering of nominations for the Federation's
Awards, for working with the Awards Committee to select worthy recipients, and
for recommending recipients to the Executive Committee.
- Secretary: The Secretary is responsible for the recording and
distribution of minutes for all regular and special meetings of the members of
the Executive Committee, and for the preparation of any necessary
correspondence pertaining to the business of the Federation.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer is responsible for the collection of any assigned fees,
contributions from supporting bodies, or other monies as may be assigned to the Federation,
and is also responsible for disbursements on behalf of the Federation. The Treasurer will
present an annual financial statement to be published in the Journal.
Article 9 -- COMMITTEES
- Standing Committees are responsible to the Executive, and are as
- Program: The Program Committee will be responsible for the
development of programs for Federation conferences. The Committee will work in
conjunction with persons at the local site of a conference. The Committee will
be chaired by the Senior Vice-President, and will include at least two
members who are not members of the Executive.
- Awards: The Awards Committee will receive and assess
nominations for Federation awards, and will recommend candidates for awards to
the Executive Committee. The Committee will consist of at least two, but not
more than four, members who are not members of the Executive, in addition to
- Regional Representatives: The Committee of Regional
Representatives is responsible for the implementation of Federation programs
in the various regions of the world. The Committee will meet at Federation
conferences with the President, who will chair the committee, and Executive
members as desired to consider sites for future meetings. There will be
regional representatives from Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, Oceania,
and South America.
- Special committees may be created by the Executive as needed.
- Each committee will keep the minutes of meetings and will report their
deliberations to the Executive through the President.
Article 10 -- DISSOLUTION
- In the event of dissolution of the Federation, any funds or assets
remaining after all debts have been paid shall be transferred to the
Australian Mathematics Trust.
Article 11 -- FINANCIAL YEAR
- Unless otherwise ordered by the Executive, the financial year of the
Federation shall be from July 1 to June 30.
Article 12 -- AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION
- Amendments to the constitution may be proposed in writing to the
President at least sixty days before any meeting of the Federation.
- Such amendment, alteration, or repeal of the constitution will be placed
before the members only if confirmed by a majority of votes cast at an
- Any amendment, alteration, or repeal must be approved by two-thirds of
the members present at a duly constituted Federation meeting.
This Constitution is as amended at a meeting of WFNMC in Monterrey, Mexico at ICME-11 in 2008.