The World Federation of National Mathematics Competitions is an Affiliated Study Group (ASG) of the
International Commission for Mathematical Instruction (ICMI).
Founded at a meeting in Adelaide in 1984 (at ICME 5) it has a Constitution which was
approved in 1996 at its meeting in
Seville (at ICME 8) under the Presidency of Ron Dunkley,
amended in 2004 and again in 2008 (at present the 2004 version is
still on the web site).
It also has a Policy Document, approved at its 2002 meeting, defining its interests
to be wider that solely mathematics
competitions themselves, but also embracing a
number of other activities normally related to competitions and having various
roles in enriching the learning experience of students.
The Federation aims to provide a focal point for those interested in, and concerned with,
mathematics competitions and related activitiies for the purpose of
stimulating the learning of mathematics.
Its objectives include:
- Serving as a resource for the exchange of information and ideas
on mathematics competitions
and related activities through publications and conferences.
- Assisting with the development and improvement of mathematics competitions
and related activities.
- Increasing public awareness of the role of mathematics competitions
and related ativities in
the education of all students and assuring that the importance
of that role is properly recognised in academic circles.
- Creating and enhancing professional links between mathematicians
involved in competitions
and related activities around the world.
It administers a number of activities, including:
- The Journal Mathematics Competitions
- An international conference every four years. Previous
conferences have been held (or
are planned to be held) in:
- WFNMC-1: Waterloo, Canada (1990)
- WFNMC-2: Pravets, Bulgaria (1994)
- WFNMC-3: ZhongShan, China (1998)
- WFNMC-4: Melbourne, Australia (2002)
- WFNMC-5: Cambridge, UK (2006)
- WFNMC-6: Riga, Latvia (2010)
- WFNMC-7: Barranquilla, Colombia (2014)
- WFNMC-8: Graz, Austria (2018)
- David Hilbert and Paul Erdös
Awards for mathematicians
prominent on an international or national scale in mathematical enrichment activites.
It consists of the following committees:
Alexander Soifer, University
of Colorado, Colorado City, USA.
- Senior Vice-President (and Chairman, Program Committee): Kiril
University of Sofia, BULGARIA.
- Vice-President: Robert
- Vice-President: Ali Rejali, Isfahan
University of Technology, IRAN.
- Secretary: Sergey Dorichenko,
School 179, Moscow, RUSSIA.
- Immediate Past President (and Chairman, Awards Committee): Maria
Falk de Losada, University Antonio Nariño, Bogota, COLOMBIA.
- Editor, Mathematics
Palacky University, Olomouc, CZECH REPUBLIC.
- Treasurer: Peter
Taylor, PO Box 6165, O'CONNOR ACT 2602, AUSTRALIA.
WFNMC REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVES
- Africa: John
Webb, Department of
of Cape Town, Rondebosch, SOUTH AFRICA.
- Asia: vacant
- Europe (1): Francisco
Bellot Rosado, Royal Spanish Mathematical Society, Valladolid, SPAIN.
- Europe (2): Nikolay
Konstantinov, Moscow, RUSSIA.
- North America: Ian VanderBurgh, Waterloo, Canada
- Oceania: Derek
Holton, Melbourne, Australia.
- South America: Radmila Bulajich, Mexico City, Mexico
WFNMC PROGRAM COMMITTEE
The following Committee develops policy for programs at WFNMC Congresses.
- Chairman: Kiril Bankov,
University of Sofia BULGARIA
- Avi Berman, Haifa, Israel
- Ali Rejali, Isfahan, Iran
- Mark Saul, New York, USA
- Jordan Tabov, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Ian VanderBurgh, Waterloo, Canada
WFNMC AWARDS COMMITTEE
- Chair: Maria
Falk de Losada,
University Antonio Nariño, Bogota, COLOMBIA.
- Andy Liu, Edmonton, Canada
- Peter Taylor, Canberra, Australia
- Paul Vaderlind, Stockholm, Sweden
- John Webb, Cape Town, South Africa
Svrcek, Palacky University, Olomouc, CZECH REPUBLIC
Associate Editor: Don Barry, USA
Associate Editor: Sergey Dorichenko, Russia
Associate Editor: Waldemar Pompe, Poland
Associate Editor: Alexander Soifer, USA