CONSTITUTION OF THE WORLD FEDERATION OF NATIONAL MATHEMATICS COMPETITIONS
The World Federation of National Mathematics
Competitions is a voluntary organization, created through the inspiration of
Professor Peter O'Halloran of Australia, that aims to promote excellence in
mathematics education and to provide those persons
interested in promoting
mathematics education through mathematics contests an opportunity
of meeting and exchanging information.
Article 1 -- NAME
- The name of the organization is the World Federation of National
Mathematics Competitions, hereafter referred to as WFNMC or the Federation.
Article 2 -- STATUS
- The Federation is a Thematic Affiliated Organization (TAO) with ICMI, the
International Commission on Mathematics Instruction.
Article 3 -- AIMS
- The aims of the Federation are:--
- to promote excellence in, and research associated
with, mathematics education through the use of school mathematics competitions;
- to promote meetings and conferences where persons
interested in mathematics contests can exchange and develop ideas of use in their countries;
- to provide opportunities for the exchanging of information for
mathematics education through published material, notably through the Journal
of the Federation;
- to recognize through the WFNMC Awards system persons who have made
notable contributions to mathematics education through mathematical challenge
around the world;
- to organize assistance provided by countries with
developed system for
competitions for countries attempting to develop
- to promote mathematics and to encourage young mathematicians.
Article 4 -- CONFERENCES
- The Federation will hold a conference every two years at a site to be
determined by the Executive.
- Special conferences of the Federation may be held on a regional basis at
the discretion of the Executive.
Article 5 -- MEMBERSHIP
- Membership is open to any person or organization interested in the
employment of mathematics competitions in enhancing mathematics education, and
who agrees to assist the WFNMC in the realization of its aims.
- Membership fees will be set by recommendation of the Executive and
approved by the members.
- Membership is necessary of any who wish to hold office in the WFNMC.
Persons standing for office must have been members for at least one year
before taking office.
Article 6 -- FORMAL GENERAL MEETINGS
- At least once every four years the Federation will hold (usually at one of its
two-yearly conferences) a Formal General Meeting open to all its members.
Article 7 -- VOTING
- Questions at meetings will be decided by voting. This will be by show of
hands unless a secret ballot is deemed necessary by the President. Questions
will be decided by a simple majority of voting individual members, except for
amendments to the Constitution.
- Members present, and only those present who are members, are eligible to
- A declaration will be made by the President (or his substitute) that any
motion has been carried or not carried, and the result will be recorded in the
Article 8 -- ORGANIZATION
- The Federation will be administered by Officers who are individuals elected from the members.
The Officer positions are eight as defined in Section 8.3, and these
officers will constitute the Executive Committee of the WFNMC.
- The Officers will be elected by the members for 4-year renewable terms, as follows:
- Vice-President (of which there shall be three, one of whom will be
designated Senior Vice-President)
- Publications Officer
- Immediate Past President
- The occupant of each of the following offices, Senior Vice-President, Vice-President, and Secretary,
will be limited to two 4-year consecutive terms.
- Duties of the Officers are defined as follows:-
- President: The President will preside at meetings of the Executive and of WFNMC members, will serve ex-officio
on all committees, will ensure the coordination of all Federation activities, will prepare agendas for general
meetings, and will represent the WFNMC at official functions as necessary, and will maintain relations with
international bodies with which the WFNMC is affiliated. The President's time in office is limited to one
4-year term, after which time the President becomes "Immediate Past President" for one 4-year term.
Each Past President will remain a full voting Member of the Executive for as long as s(he) is willing
to contribute to the work of the Executive and the Federation.
- Vice-President: The Vice-Presidents will be responsible for membership, and presentation of candidates
for office at times of elections. These duties will be shared by the three. The Senior Vice-President will
chair the Executive Committee in the absence of the President and will chair the Program Committee.
- Publications Officer: The Publications Officer will be responsible for the production of federation
materials, specifically the Journal of the Federation, and for other materials as approved by the Executive.
- The Immediate Past President shall serve as Chair of the Awards Committee and will be responsible
for the gathering of nominations for the Federation's Awards, for working with the Awards Committee to
select worthy recipients, and for recommending recipients to the Executive Committee.
- Secretary: The Secretary is responsible for the recording and distribution of minutes for all
regular and special meetings of the members of the Executive Committee, and for the preparation of any
necessary correspondence pertaining to the business of the Federation.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer is responsible for the collection of any assigned fees, contributions
from supporting bodies, or other monies as may be assigned to the Federation, and is also responsible
for disbursements on behalf of the Federation.
The Treasurer will present an annual financial statement to be published in the Journal.
Article 9 -- COMMITTEES
- Standing Committees are responsible to the Executive, and are as
- Program: The Program Committee will be responsible for the development
of programs for Federation conferences. The Committee will work in conjunction
with persons at the local site of a conference. The Committee will be chaired
by the Senior Vice-President, and will include at least two members who are not members of the Executive.
- Awards: The Awards Committee will receive and assess nominations for Federation awards, and will recommend
candidates for awards to the Executive Committee. The Committee will consist of at least two, but not more
than four, members who are not members of the Executive, in addition to the Chair.
- Regional Representatives: The Committee of Regional Representatives is responsible for the implementation
of Federation programs in the various regions of the world. The Committee will meet at Federation Congresses with the
President, who will chair the committee, and Executive members as desired to consider sites for future meetings and
candidates for the Paul Erdos Award. There will be regional representatives from Africa, Asia, Europe, North America,
Oceania, and South America.
- Special committees may be created by the Executive as needed.
- Each committee will keep the minutes of meetings and will report their
deliberations to the Executive through the President.
- Membership on each of the Standing Committees, including but not limited to Awards, Program, and Regional Committees,
is limited to two consecutive 4-year terms.
Article 10 -- DISSOLUTION
- In the event of dissolution of the Federation, any funds or assets
remaining after all debts have been paid shall be transferred to the
Australian Mathematics Trust.
Article 11 -- FINANCIAL YEAR
- Unless otherwise ordered by the Executive, the financial year of the
Federation shall be from July 1 to June 30.
Article 12 -- AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTION
- Amendments to the constitution may be proposed in writing to the
President at least sixty days before any meeting of the Federation.
- Such amendment, alteration, or repeal of the constitution will be placed
before the members only if confirmed by a majority of votes cast at an
- Any amendment, alteration, or repeal must be approved by two-thirds of
present at a duly constituted Federation meeting.
This Constitution is as amended at a meeting of WFNMC in Graz, Austria at WFNMC-8 in 2018.